Universities and Colleges

Colleges are post-secondary educational institutions that usually offer technical or occupational programs (of up to three years) and programs in applied arts and sciences with a focus on preparing graduates for the job market. Colleges do not usually offer academic degree programs; the graduates of colleges are usually offered Certificates, Diplomas, and Associates or Bachelor's Degrees.

Universities, on the other hand, are considered long-term educational endeavors. They are institutions of higher education focusing on academic development and research. Universities offer undergraduate education (Bachelor's Degrees), graduate education (Master's Degree) and post-graduate programs (PhD).

Because of its quality education systems and programs, Canada has always attracted students who want to advance their education and gain access to first rate education.

Below are a few links to the most popular Canadian universities:

Students can become permanent residents

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Under the new Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Canada now allows graduates of Canadian post-secondary educational institutions to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

The rules are simple; you should:

  • Be a graduate of a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years and
  • Have at least one year of full-time work experience in Canada

You should also have knowledge of English or French and plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

As of January 2015, there is a new system for people to apply to this program. It is called Express Entry.

The Express Entry system is now updated. Students can earn up to 30 more CRS points for study in Canada. Giving points for study in Canada will make it easier for students to be invited to apply.

PEQ – (Québec Experience Program– Québec Graduate) 

The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry. If an applicant wishes to settle in Québec permanently and is a foreign student, Québec graduate or skilled temporary foreign worker employed in Québec, they can apply for a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) in the skilled worker class.Therefore, students going to Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa (Students Visa) can now make a transition to Permanent Residence after they finish their studies. 

Therefore, students going to Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa (Students Visa) can now make a transition to Permanent Residence after they finish their studies. This is a new path for immigration to Canada.

Please visit Quebec Permanent Workers and PEQ – (Québec Experience Program– Québec Graduate) to find out more.

As a member of Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), we have the legal authority to provide you with student visa services. Our expert and knowledgeable advisors in Better Life can assist you with all you need to know about student visas. Please feel free to contact us for our free consultation sessions to find out about universities and colleges in Canada, the requirements of student visas, and other information you need to know as a student visa applicant.