Visit Visiting Canada

F.A.Q (Visit Canada)

1. Do I need a visa to travel to Canada?

Nationals of some countries can travel to Canada without a visa. However, citizens of most countries need to apply for and obtain a Temporary Resident Visa before departing for Canada. TR Visas are issued outside Canada and grants entry to Canada as a tourist or visitor for a limited period of time. However, the officer at the port of entry always has the discretion to limit your stay or prevent you from entering Canada. For a list of visa exempt countries and countries whose nationals need to have an entry visa, please visit

Since March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa. 

Iranians need a visa to visit or transit Canada and are required to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for it.

2. How long can I stay in Canada with a Temporary Resident Visa?

Temporary Resident Visas are usually valid for a stay of up to six months. However, the officers at the port of entry can reduce the permitted period of your stay if they decide so. In such cases, the period you can stay in Canada as a visitor will be stamped and written in your passport.

3. Can I work as a tourist in Canada?

Tourists who have entered Canada with a Temporary Resident Visa cannot work in Canada. You need a Work Permit in order to be employed and work in Canada. However, for some jobs, a Work Permit is not needed. For a list of occupations that need a Work Permit and those that are exempt, please visit

4. Can I study in Canada if I have a visitor visa?

Visitors to Canada who have entered the country with a Temporary Resident Visa cannot enter post-secondary educational institutions in Canada without a Study Permit. If you intend to Study in Canada, you need to apply for and obtain a Study Permit before departing for Canada. However, for courses or programs that last less than six months, a Study Permit is not required.

 5. Can I change my status from a visitor after arriving in Canada?

Changing status from a visitor to a student or even a Permanent Resident is possible. However, you need to submit the relevant application and go through the processing. If you are found eligible, you may change your status.

6. Can I take my family to Canada with me if I have a visitor visa?

No, each member of your family (spouse or children) needs a separate passport and a separate visa in order to be able to travel to Canada with you.

7. What happens if I do not leave Canada after the expiry date of my visitor visa?

It is illegal to stay in Canada beyond the validity date of your visa. You should leave Canada before then. If you fail to leave Canada before the validity of your visa is expired, you may never be given another visa if you apply again at some other time.

8. Can I extend my stay in Canada as a visitor?

Yes. At least 30 days before the validity of your visa expires, you need to apply for an extension to your stay. If you have convincing reasons that justify your stay, your visa will be extended to up to another six months.