Sponsorship (Family Class Program)

The Government of Canada encourages the families that come from other countries to reunite in Canada. They know that if you have a family member in Canada, your chances of success in Canada will dramatically increase.

If a member of your family lives in Canada, you may join them by immigrating to Canada through the Canadian Family Class Sponsorship program.

For you to be eligible for this program, the family member that you have in Canada must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, and they must be willing to sponsor you, which means that they will be financially responsible for you if you cannot afford to pay for your own survival in Canada during the first years of your settlement.

Important Notice:

As Canada has received adequate applications to meet the Parent and Grandparent Program cap this year, the application period is currently closed. It will, however, re-open on January 3, 2017, with a capacity of 10,000 new and complete applications. For those who wish to bring their families to Canada, the Super Visa still remains a quick and easy way to reunite parents and grandparents with their loved ones.

Effective December 22, 2014, eligible spouses or common-law partners have the chance to work in Canada while they wait for their permanent residence application to be processed.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.

Five-year sponsorship bar for people who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner.

Because of the changes made to Canada’s immigration law, if a spouse or partner sponsored a person, they now cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident.