F.A.Q (Studying in Canada)

1. Do I need a permit to study in Canada?

Most international students who intend to study in Canada need a Study Permit unless it is a short course or program that lasts six months or less.

2. Do I need a permit to study English in Canada?

If you engage in a short course or program for ESL (English as a Second Language) you do not usually need a Study Permit. However, it is advisable to apply for a Study permit before departing for Canada because you may wish to continue your studies in Canada after your ESL program is over.

3. Can I work while studying in Canada?

YES and NO. International students may be able to work in Canada while studying. However, for working in Canada, a Work Permit is required. Some international students will be granted a Work Permit to work on or off campus for a few hours a week. You may also be able to work after your graduation.

For more information in this regard, please visit

4. Can I change my educational institution after arriving in Canada?

Yes. You may do so if you remain within the same level. For example, if you are a secondary school student and wish to go to university, you need to apply to change your Study Permit.

5. Can I apply for the Canadian Permanent Resident Visa while I am a student in Canada?

If you are eligible to apply for the Canadian Permanent Resident Visa under either of the following two categories, you may do so: a. Canadian Experience Class  or b. PEQ – (Québec Experience Program– Québec Graduate)

6. Can I leave Canada and enter again when I am studying in Canada?

If your visa grants you multiple entry, you can leave and re-enter Canada numerous times within the validity of your visa.

7. Can I take my family members to Canada with me when I am granted a Study Permit?

No. Each member of your family needs a separate passport and a visa to travel to Canada. You may apply for a visa for all members of your family (spouse and children) at the same time you apply for yourself.